frontpage hit counter

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Basketball & Jammed Fingers

I recently entered the wonderful world of basketball. One thing I've learned that happens very often is jammed fingers. Whether they come from a pass, a steal, or a rebound, it happens all the time. My first jammed finger, which happened to be my pointer finger, from my point of view was a severe case. To make matters worst, I didn't take proper care of the finger afterward the game. What I should have done was ice it when I got home, but I figured it would be okay. Later that day, a red scab colored dot appeared under the fingernail of that same finger. It has been nearly a month now, and the finger is still a bit stiff, but doesn't hurt as much. The red scab colored dot is about to reach the tip of the fingernail. A friend has told me that the way I should take care of the finger now is to exercise it. Writing out the alphabet is the perfect way to achieve the entire range of motion.

A question for those who play basketball a lot. I was wondering if there were ways of strengthening all the fingers to reduce jammed fingers? I know that jammed fingers are inevitable in basketball, a injury prone sport. Perhaps an exercise that can be done to strengthen the fingers in my hand. So for now, I'll just take my chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home