frontpage hit counter

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fear of Graduating

My last eight years of education in high school, and then college have been quite a rollercoaster. Those older than 30 would probably not understand what I'm talking about. It is my belief that 30 years ago, one could easily apply to college, graduate, and find a well paying job. It seems that the most difficult task 30 years ago would be getting to school (treking through the cold snow), while the only thing on the minds of students today is meeting the grade. Competition is harsh in a global economy.

Seeing that I'm graduating in about a quarter and a half, I have to begin deciding what to do with my life after college. I've already decided, "No more school for me". Which leaves me no other option than to join the unemployed workforce of America and hope of a company to give me a chance to start my career. But for those already employed, do you have any tips on finding a job? You know and I'm about to find out how scary it is to be unemployed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I can really give you practical advice, because I have not held a job for about a decade. But, I did leave school back in 1973 and I can more or less confirm that what you say about then was right.

In those days, I mostly worked as a temp, because this paid higher. There was always work available, I could pretty much pick and choose and often got permanent job offers that I actually turned down.

Today is a whole other story.

Applying for jobs is likely to be a full-time task in itself. I'm sure you are, just make sure you are super organised.

If there is any way that you can volunteer for work experience that is relevant to your chosen field, perhaps with a non-profit, a local firm or as a freelance, I'd advise you to do that in the meantime. This will add the experience factor that the lack of can often make it hard for a new graduate to find work.

Whatever you do, try to keep in your mind how you can write it up on your CV and make it look like natural career progression.

And good luck!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home